Between 2021 and 2022, Microsoft launched Windows 11 and has been steadily working on improving its usability and UI/UX. Windows 11 brings a massive update to your PC. It gives your PC a new and customized look, great enhancement for gaming in terms of performance, and various ways to multitask.
However, here’s the big question every Windows 10 user is asking. “Do I upgrade to Windows 11?” “Is this the right time to upgrade to Windows 11?”
Before Windows 11 was released, one of the main reasons why users upgraded their OS on their old PCs or new computers to a new one was to get access to new features. Now, even with the release of Windows 11 and its availability to many users, Microsoft still allows users to use Windows 10.
According to the latest AdDuplex report, Windows 11 is currently used on about 19.3% of all supported computers running Windows 10 or 11. This shows that Windows 11 is growing in the operating system market.
Therefore, to answer the question above, upgrading depends on your PC type and what the PC is used for.
This guide will help you determine whether you should upgrade to Windows 11 now or later.
Windows 11 System Requirements
Windows 11 is a free upgrade for Windows 1o. However, the minimum hardware and system requirements for upgrading to the OS are very high. Here is a list of those requirements to determine if you can upgrade to Windows 11
- Processor/CPU: The processor should be 1GHz (gigahertz) or faster. It should have two or more cores on a well-matched 64-bit CPU/processor or a System on a Chip (SoC).
- RAM: Should be 4 gigabytes (GB)
- Storage: 64 gigabytes (GB) or more.
- TPM: Trusted Platform Module version 2.0 security chip
- System/Hardware Firmware: Secure Boot capable, U.E.F.I
- Graphics Card: Should be compatible with DirectX 12 or later with W.D.D.M 2.0 driver
- Display: A 720p high definition display with a diagonal size of at least 9″ and 8 bits of color depth.
- Internet Connection: To complete the setup on first use, Windows 11 Home edition requires an internet connection and a Microsoft account.
- Current Window Version: Must have Windows 10, ver. 2004, and later.
How to check your PC’s compatibility with Windows 11
To know if your PC has the requirements to upgrade to Windows 11, download the Windows PC Health Check app from Window 11’s official page.
Reasons to upgrade to Windows 11 now
For new users, Windows 11 will seem like a good option with the new design. You get round corners and say goodbye to the sharp edges that have always been present on Windows 10 and other versions.
Other reasons include
- A More Consistent Interface
If you have always wanted a slick and consistent interface, Windows 11 offers just that. Except for the occasional Control Panel dialog box, Windows 11 is just as sleek. The taskbar’s small size, rounded window corners, and touch-friendly style make it easy on the eyes. It simply appears nicer.
You no longer have to worry about your friends showing off their sleek Chrome OS and macOS user interfaces.
- Work and Collaborative Features
Although you can use Windows 10 for remote work, Windows 11 collaboration features are much better. It has features not present in Windows 10, including background blurring, adjusting eye contacts for meetings, and automatic framing. You can get these AI-powered features through Microsoft Teams, some of which depend on your PC hardware specification.
If you love games and want the best OS for PC gaming, upgrading to Windows 11 is the best option. When you upgrade to Windows 11, you get the Windows updates, one of which includes optimization for running games in windowed mode.
Windows 11 supports two unique gaming features: Auto HDR and DirectStorage. These two features load the game directly into the video memory, bypassing the CPU, and help the game load in less than a second.
- Included Apps
New apps were added in Windows 11, which are better than those in Windows 10. These apps include
- A media player app: The all-new media player app in Windows 11 makes listening to music and watching videos an awesome experience.
- Clipchamp app: This template-based progressive web app (PWA) video editor present in Windows 11 is great for small businesses. They can use this app to make videos for advertising and marketing.
- Clock app: The clock app has features that can help you concentrate on projects with its Focus Sessions.
- Photo app: Surprisingly, the photo app allows you to edit videos, with features not found in Clipchamp.
Other apps that have been updated include the calculator app, paint, and notepad.
Reasons to upgrade to Windows 11 later
It is better to upgrade to Windows 11 later due to the following reasons
- Low PC requirements
Hold off upgrading if your computer doesn’t satisfy the minimum system requirement for Windows 11. Although you can bypass the system requirements to let you upgrade, it’s not worth it. According to Microsoft, it will be at your own risk, and you won’t get much in terms of its unique features.
- If you want a bug-free experience
For now, if you are looking for a bug-free experience, don’t upgrade. Like most new OS releases, Windows 11 has its fair share of bug issues. Currently, Windows 10 is appealing to most people because it is bug-free, and it will take a while before Windows 11 becomes bug-free.
- Complicated workflow
If your workflow is complicated and includes various apps, there’s a possibility that Windows 11 may break it.
- If you like Windows 10
If you like Windows 10 and are not ready for the changes in Windows 11, don’t upgrade for now. Windows 11 may be a challenging upgrade from Windows 10 due to the inability to move or expand the taskbar, the redesigned Start menu, and the removal of Tablet Mode, Timeline, and other factors.
- Features removed from Windows 10
You will no longer have access to some apps once you upgrade. These include Internet Explorer, the Math Input window, Paint 3D, Skype, 3D viewer, and OneNote. Also, the ability to sync your desktop background will be removed.
Is It Worth Upgrading to Windows 11?
It’s worthwhile to try out Windows’s most recent release. You will enjoy a lot of its unique features. However, after updating, you only have ten days to downgrade from Windows 11 to Windows 10. To downgrade after that, you’ll have to perform a clean install (delete all of your data).
Ready to Upgrade to Windows 11?
Two River Computer can help you upgrade to Windows 11 smoothly and efficiently at Fair Haven. If you are upgrading to Windows 11 for your business, we will up you upgrade with the least amount of business interruption
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. Call 732-747-0020 or send us a message.